A very common infection that affects millions of people each year is the urinary tract infection. It seems that like these can be caused by almost anything since they’re so common. If you are experiencing any signs of a urinary tract infection, then come into WellCare Urgent Care center in Grand Rapids to get treatment started.
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are an infection of the urethra and bladder. This occurs when bacteria enter the urethra and travels to the bladder. Women are more susceptible to urinary tract infections as the urethra is very small which makes the travel to the bladder easy for bacteria. This infection is not usually dangerous but does cause a lot of uncomfortable symptoms.
- Frequent and Intense Urge to Urinate
- Cloudy, Dark, or Bloody Urine
- Burning and Pain When Urinating
- Pain in the Lower Abdomen or Back
Most urinary tract infections are caused the E. coli bacteria. This type of UTI is commonly referred to as a bladder infection. Also, the infection can occur when bacteria from the GI tract spread from the anus to the urethra. Other causes are sexually transmitted diseases like herpes, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.
There are a variety of treatments available to you if you have a urinary tract infection. When you come into WellCare Urgent Care one of our physicians will go over your symptoms will you and take a urine sample to test for an infection. If you have a UTI then an antibiotic can be prescribed to get rid of the bacteria. We can also give you pain medication to help manage any discomfort.
Urinary tract infections can be reoccurring, to help prevent future UTI’s there are some things you can do like:
- Wipe Front to Back- This helps to prevent the spread of bacteria from the anus to the urethra.
- Drink Enough Fluids- Getting enough fluids helps you to urinate more frequently thus cleaning out the urinary tract.
- Pee Before and After Sex- This is important to flush out any bacteria that has been introduced during intercourse.
- Drink Cranberry Juice- Although this is not a proven method to prevent a UTI, many do think that the acidity can help to reduce the risk of infection.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of a UTI then come into WellCare Urgent Care Center in Grand Rapids to get checked by one of our physicians. We want to help you resolve these symptoms as quickly as possible so you can go on living a healthy, comfortable life. Schedule an immediate appointment online at our Cascade and Leonard locations.