Insect bites are not an uncommon phenomenon. Many people get bites from small insects, often without even noticing. Some insects can cause an allergic reaction if they bite you. In this case, it is important to seek care for this reaction at WellCare Urgent Care Center in Grand Rapids.
Allergic reactions from insects can happen when venom is injected by the insect’s stinger or mouth. It can cause redness, swelling, itchiness, and soreness. Some insects, like mosquitos or ticks, can spread diseases through bites.
It can be hard to identify the kind of bug that bit you, especially if you don’t see it happen. Bug bites can occur anywhere and can be done by a variety of insects.
- Mosquitos: These are very common, and cause raised, itchy bumps on the skin. Mosquito bites can be a singular bite or a group of them as one mosquito can bite several times.
- Ticks: This can produce pain and swelling and is typically just one bite. Ticks can spread Lyme disease which results in a bull’s-eye-shaped rash. Ticks have flat, teardrop—shaped bodies but can become round and full if they have bitten something.
- Spiders: Spider bites create two puncture marks on the skin, and the skin may become red or blistered. They can cause pain and itching. Most spider bites are harmless unless from a venomous spider such as a brown recluse or a black widow.
- Bedbugs: These bites occur in groups and cause small, red bumps that are itchy.
- Flea: Flea bites cause an itchy welt on the skin which usually appears on the legs or the ankles. Fleas live on pets and can multiply quickly.
- Lice: Lice hide in the hair; their bites cause an extremely itchy scalp.
- Fly: Bites from horseflies or houseflies are painful and can appear as a welt that is very itchy.
- Chigger: These can be groups of welts, blisters, and hives that are itchy.
Typically, insect bites can be treated at home by avoiding itching the area and washing it. Using cold compresses can help to reduce the swelling and redness. Taking antihistamines can also be beneficial in helping relieve some symptoms.
If you are having an allergic reaction to an insect bite then it is important to come into WellCare Urgent Care in Grand Rapids to get treatment immediately.