A yeast infection is caused by an infection from a fungus. The human body normally contains a small amount of fungus, but in some cases, a particular type of fungus may overwhelm your body, leading to uncomfortable health issues. This condition is also known as candidiasis, and a yeast infection of the vagina in adult females is common. However, males and children can also have a yeast infection on the skin or in the mouth. Yeast infections are not dangerous, but the conditions are often transmissible, and there are side effects of this medical issue.
When you are trying to determine if you have a yeast infection, here are some of the symptoms that are associated with this condition:
- White patches on the inner cheeks or the roof of the mouth
- Vaginal discharge with thick white lumps
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse
- A burning sensation while urinating
- The vulva can swell and become red
- Itching sensations in the vulva and the vagina
It is important to visit a physician at an urgent care clinic to determine if you have contracted a yeast infection from sexual activity.
- Hormone therapy can change the way that your body fights against fungus
- Having an impaired immune system that can’t control fungus growth
- Having diabetes mellitus can make you more susceptible to having a yeast infection
- During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to have a yeast infection
- Using birth control can change the level of fungus in your body
- Antibiotic use can destroy the good bacteria that prevent fungal overgrowth
Diagnosing a yeast infection will include a physical examination along with collecting your sexual history. A physician can collect a sample of the yeast from the mouth, skin, or vulva to perform a culture test. Depending on how you contracted the yeast infection, you can use anti-fungal ointments, or alternatively, you may need prescription oral medication. If you have contracted a yeast infection from sexual activity, then a physician will want to test you for other sexually transmitted diseases. Avoid using at-home treatments for yeast infections if you are pregnant. By ingesting probiotic supplements or eating foods such as yogurt, you can avoid having yeast infections.
Yeast infections are an uncomfortable occurrence that affects millions of people each year. This condition is not serious but treatment is needed so that it can be resolved. Come into WellCare Urgent Care Center to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for the yeast infection.