There are several symptoms associated with arthritis such as redness around the affected joints and decreased range of motion and swelling in the joints. An arthritic joint can also become stiff, and it will hurt to move. When you have chronic arthritis, you will begin to feel fatigued most of the time. By visiting an urgent care center such as WellCare, you can have an examination to determine what type of arthritis you have. A physician can determine if you have a particular type of arthritis with a physical examination and blood tests. An X-ray can also help a physician determine what type of arthritis is affecting your joints.
There are hundreds of types of arthritis that can damage your joints, including:
- Osteoarthritis – occurs from wear and tear
- Rheumatoid – an autoimmune disorder that destroys the synovial membranes
- Gout – caused by a buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints
- Psoriatic – a side effect from having psoriasis
- Inflammatory – an overall body inflammation that includes the joints
- Lupus – includes inflammation in vital body organs
- Reactive – a reaction from an infection in other areas of your body
- Septic – an infection from parasites, fungi, viruses, or bacteria
For some types of arthritis, a physician can prescribe medications that eliminate infections. However, most types of arthritis are not curable, but you can prevent additional joint damage or pain. A physician will tell you to change your dietary plan to include foods that can reduce inflammation. It is a good idea to choose an exercise that won’t harm your joints, swimming or gentle yoga routines are recommended.
You can take over-the-counter pain relievers, or alternatively, a physician can prescribe anti-inflammatory medications to reduce the swelling and pain in your joints. If you have rheumatoid arthritis or other immune-disorder arthritis conditions, then you can take medications that will suppress the activity of your body’s immune system. You can visit a physical therapist for treatment, or alternatively, you can enjoy professional massages at a spa to alleviate your pain while improving the condition of the arthritic joints in your body.
Arthritis is a painful condition that affects millions of people each year. There are many ways to help treat arthritis and make it more manageable. To learn more about overcoming arthritic pain and joint damage, contact WellCare Urgent Care in Grand Rapids.