Everyone has heard of Poison Ivy or come into contact with it in their lifetimes. This is an irritating rash that happens from the plant. Poison Ivy can lead to scars if not treated properly. If you have come into contact with Poison Ivy, then come into WellCare Urgent Care center in Grand Rapids to get treatment.
The rash from Poison Ivy is a type of contact dermatitis. The rash typically appears within one-to-three days after encountering the plant and can last for several weeks. It generally appears as blistering bumps and the skin will be itchy, red, and swollen.
There is an oily substance found on poison ivy plants called urushiol that is the cause of the rash. You can still get poison ivy through direct contact of this oil if it is found on clothing, pets, or other substances, Airborne contact is also possible if the plant is burned and the oil particles land on the skin. This rash is not contagious unless some blisters contain urushiol which can spread it further.
- Topical Solutions to Relieve Itching
- Oral Antihistamines
- Applying a Cold Compress
If the rash becomes severe or leads to a bacterial infection, then medical care is needed for treatment.
The best way to prevent Poison Ivy is by learning what the plant looks like in order to avoid contact with it. Poison Ivy plants have three leaves that are pointed and can either have notched or smooth edges. It does change color with the seasons and will be red in the spring, green in the summer, and yellow in the fall. This is found in wooded areas and along riverbanks. If you are hiking through the woods, wearing closed shoes, long pants and sleeves is a good idea to avoid contact with the plant.
Come into WellCare Urgent Care center in Grand Rapids if you have been exposed to the Poison Ivy Plant. We can help get you quick and effective treatment for your symptoms. Schedule an immediate appointment online or come into our Cascade and Leonard locations.