When you have skin problems, it is often caused by allergies. It is possible to have an allergy to a food, beauty care products, or other substances. An allergic response on the skin can lead to an itchy rash, pus-filled blisters, or red hives. It is often possible to diagnose the cause of an allergy by the way that a rash looks. When you visit WellCare Urgent Care for an examination, a physician will also want to know if you have been exposed to any unusual substances such as a new type of laundry detergent or poison oak.
Some of the most common types of skin rashes are caused by allergic responses, and these conditions can include:
- Psoriasis- a skin condition with white or silver lesions
- Eczema- a dry or blistering rash that occurs on certain areas
- Hives – a strange rash that occurs suddenly due to an intense allergic response
- Contact dermatitis – caused by touching an irritant
- Rosacea – a facial rash that is often caused by a defective immune response
- Seborrheic dermatitis – caused by clogged pores
Understanding what causes a skin allergy can help you to avoid the substance so that you don’t suffer from its itchiness, swelling, and pain.
- Fragrances – occur in a variety of products that touch the skin
- Metals – primarily nickel that is in jewelry
- Preservatives – used to keep foods and beauty care products fresh
- Dyes – added to detergents, beauty care products, and foods
- Antibiotics – topical or oral antibiotics
- Sulfates – a chemical added to many products
- Foods – peanuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, and others
- Insect bites – allergic reactions to insect bites or stings
- Poisonous plants – poison ivy, poison oak, or other plants
An antihistamine can stop the itching sensation from an allergic response, helping your skin rash to heal faster. You can also apply soothing anti-itch ointments, or you can bathe with a gentle soap that has no added fragrances. If a skin rash is near your nose, mouth, ears, or eyes, then you may need medical attention to avoid complications. You can visit an urgent care clinic to receive prescription medication to alleviate skin rashes along with undergoing tests to learn what is causing the response.
If you are experiencing rash of some sort, seeking medical attention can help to solve this. Some skin rashes and irritants need prescription medicine in order to be resolved. Come into WellCare Urgent Care in Grand Rapids to receive expert treatment for your skin rash.